Thursday, August 2, 2007

Organic basil makes another appearance.....


I am so excited, I "veganized" my first bread recipe! I got the recipe from The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger. I found a recipe for Whole Wheat Basil Bread, and the title just seemed to jump out at me, as I had another basil inspiration earlier this week. I made the 1 1/2 lb loaf. Here is the original recipe with my alterations listed off to the side.

3/4 cup buttermilk (I used soy milk with about a tablespoon of vinegar stirred into it that sat for ten minutes)
1/3 cup water
2 TBSP butter, cut into pieces (I used Earth Balance butter sticks)
2 TBSP Honey (I used light agave nectar)

3 cups white whole wheat flour (I used stone ground wheat flour, as this is all I had)
1/4 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup chopped pine nuts
1 TBSP gluten
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons SAF yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast (I used bread machine yeast)

I put all the ingredients in the machine according to the MFR instructions, and in three hours I had bread! It turned out okay, it was really dense, would make really good stew or chili bread. I think it turned out so dense because I did not use the correct flour that the recipe called for. I still liked it though.


This is my favorite "go-to dinner"......... Wild rice pilaf, black-eyed peas, and sliced tomatoes. Cornbread would have gone really good with this meal, but I didn't have any cornmeal in the pantry. I was really glad I was able to use up the rest of the basil! I hate to waste food.

I had an all vegan diet day..... Here is what I ate for the rest of the day....

Breakfast: microwaved bake potato topped with pinto beans and covered in salsa (No fat breakfast), fresh carrot and peach juice (I have been drinking a form of fresh carrot juice all week, and am glad to see that I don't have an orange hue to my skin yet!)

Snack: Raw cashews, almonds, raw pumpkin seeds, raisins, and vegan chocolate chips all mixed together, organic grapes, and an organic banana

Lunch: Hummus wrap (Hummus and pita bread were left over from last nights Greek Feast) with romaine lettuce, red onions and tomatoes.

I didn't snack when I came home, and I didn't feel like working out either. I don't think I put dinner on the table until nine o'clock tonight.

No comments: