Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Meat" Loaf Wednesday

Tonight I decided to make a "meat" loaf, except mine had no "meat" in it at all. I based the recipe loosely on Mom's "meat" loaf. Here is the recipe:
2 cups cooked lentils
1/2lb of Gimme Lean Sausage
1 Onion
1 Egg
Handful of crushed crackers
Garlic Powder
Lawry's Salt
Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Tomato Sauce
This was all mixed together and made into a loaf. Then it was topped with the rest of the tomato sauce, ketchup, and tangy barbecue sauce.

Here it is in the oven.

Here is what my plate looked like. I really wanted peas, but I had none in the pantry so I settled for green beans instead. I also made my garlic mashed potatoes which my sweetie loves. This is my first time making a lentil loaf, and all in all it was very good. I would make a few changes though, I would use one cup of lentils to 1/2 lb of sausage or two cups lentils, to one lb of sausage. I also would only cook this in the oven for forty five minutes instead of an hour. I think this would give it more flavor and make it a little more moist. I am so full right now! It was a very filling meal, and I didn't miss the meat at all.

No comments: